Monday, February 2, 2009

The Daniel Fast

"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2,3

In my post "Something Is About To Happen" I mentioned that I was praying about doing something different. Well, for about 6 - 8 months I have been praying about fasting and I "stumbled" on the Daniel Fast about a month ago. After looking into it I realized it was just what I was supposed to do. You can still eat but you cut out all the foods and drinks that I have become so attached to! So I researched, planned, prayed and prepared. I have never done anything like this before and do not want to fail. I went back and forth on whether I should blog about it but have decided that I want a record of every day so I can look back and see what the Lord has done through this time. I am starting with 9 days and eventually would like to do 21 days. The timing has been perfect. After a restful trip this weekend I am starting today! In the past I have always started some plan in January to lose weight. This time it's not about the weight-it's about focusing on areas of my life that I want to change. There are some areas that I need answers.

Today has been very difficult. The hardest part is only drinking water. It hit hard this morning when I wanted my morning coffee. The following was written by Susan Gregory of the Daniel Fast web site:

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:1, 2


Today is the first day of the Daniel Fast for many of us. As I write this message, it's not yet 5:00 a.m. here in my little college town in Washington State. This is normally the time when I make my morning coffee and enjoy it with half and half cream while I have my first conversation of the day with my Lord.

Today will be different. Today I will go without my beloved coffee (which is a big deal for a Seattle girl where Starbuck's was birthed). But that small "sacrifice" is nothing compared to the joy I will experience as I present my body to the Lord as living sacrifice to Him.

The next words in this verse are amazing: ". . . holy, acceptable to God." We are holy before God! That is so big. Because of Jesus, we can stand before the Almighty God as holy! Praise Jesus for His goodness and His sacrifice for us. Jesus made us holy, set apart and sanctified.

Today, in faith we each present our body, soul and spirit to our Lord. We commit these next three weeks to a time of focused prayer and fasting. We can come to the Lord with our petitions and needs . . . because we are a holy people . . . holy because of the immeasurable love of God and His Son.

I hope you can sense the greatness into which we are entering today. Not greatness in ourselves, but greatness in the position we have as children of God . . . because of Jesus.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Michele, I can't wait to read about your experience with this. I have never fasted except for one day for a church I was attending.

But this past year Keith and I decided to participate in Lent. I've never done it before. We gave up fried foods. That was a hard one for both of us. I'm glad we did it and am praying about what I should focus on this year for Lent. Paige suggested I give up blogging...how dare she!


Joy

jodi said...

It seems to be a running theme this year, everywhere I turn. Holiness. I can't wait to hear how your fast turns out!