Monday, November 12, 2007

Staying Fresh

A few months ago David and I were talking about what was missing in our lives as a couple. After 10 years on staff at my church, raising three kids, and David's job schedule, the lack of fellowship with other couples has really become evident. I have been able to work out time for my "girlfriend time" but we really don't have any couples that we get together with more than once a year at Christmas! I know life gets in the way and we are all busy which is more reason to work at kepping things "fresh". We had only been members of our church for 9 months when I took this position and Jacob was only 1. It's very hard for me to go to Sunday School and service and David does not want to go to Sunday School by himself (I don't blame him). I LOVE what I do and I know God has called me to it but my spiritual life and friendships are just going to take some extra work. I have usually found a weeky bible study to be involved in but that just has not work out the last 2 years. We both had forgotten how important it is to fellowship TOGETHER. So, we decided to try Adult Sunday School again and I am so glad we did. We have a wonderful teacher and yesterday his lesson was on brotherly love. One of his points was that the hardest struggle of a Christian is staying fresh. One way we can stay fresh is by serving. That really hit me because that is just what we had fallen into. With relationships and with the Lord. I recently read a statement that said the longer you are a Christian the easier is it to get "bitten by the bug of familiarity". That is so true! Church becomes familiar, reading the bible becomes familiar, Christian music, seminars, serving, the list goes on and on. I am so excited to start on a new/fresh journey with the Lord and see where this takes me (and David). I want to serve not just in my position but by showing brotherly love in other ways. I want to stay fresh with Him every day of my life and the rest will fall into place! How can I teach my children what a blessing it is to love the Lord if we have gotten stale in our Christian walk?


Romans 12: 9 - 16
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are right were you are too. We had got caught up in casuality of church and God has refreshed us. Good luck on you fresh new journey.