Sunday, October 7, 2007

Wanting More of Him

I read this today on Beth Moore's blog (The LPM Blog) and it really hit home. I want to bring Christ into every area of my life!

I caught myself doing something this morning that made me think of my own walk with Christ then yours, my darling fellow-sojourners, because that's the way God has wired me. It was still dark outside and I'd just finished my quiet time on the back porch. Our sanitation guys come early so I knew I'd better get the trash out before I missed them. As I was dragging a large trash can down the driveway and out to the curb with one hand, I held the other hand up in the air while I prayed some Scriptures out loud over my beloved son-in-law. It might have been any one of my closest loved ones but I knew he had a Greek test today and I wanted to spend some extra time on him. Suddenly the Holy Spirit made me aware of the sweet irony of what was happening. There I was, dragging a trash can filled with empty dog-food cans, coffee grounds, crumpled kleenex from blown noses, cardboard toilet tissue tubes, dryer lint, a weekend of Houston Chronicles, all manner of to-go food containers and goodness knows what other unmentionables out to the curb while having a holy moment with the King of all Creation.

And I thought to myself, "Isn't that the way it is?" God's Word and His ways were meant for real living. If we keep saving sacred practices for sacred life-moments, we will never truly see our theology collide with our reality. We may feel a tad better at church and more spiritually in-tune at Bible study but we'll never get the fact that Christ meant to infuse Himself into our relentless carpool lines, traffic jams, elevator rides, grocery store check-outs, expense reports, tank fill-ups, and family fights. If we reserve divine moments for divine situations, we are in for long waits and short visits. I don't know about you but I need Him more than that.

1 comment:

Jess said...

That is good.
I know it's something I need to learn to develop in my life.
We just had that in our sermon today... "to be IN the world and not to be OF the world".